Getting into the holiday spirit can involve addressing the problems of hunger in local communities. That kind of community involvement is exactly what Huapangos Mexican Cuisine in the San Diego area did by offering free food on Thanksgiving Day to anyone who wanted it.
The owners planned for the restaurant to hand out free meals until 5:00 p.m., or until supplies lasted.
To get your business in the holiday spirit, you might consider special incentives or giveaways that reflect the 12 days of Christmas, Hanukkah, or other holiday theme. Here are some suggestions that could make your holidays brighter.
- Promote weekly giveaways such as a two-for-one on selected menu items or for guests of two or more.
- Offer free homemade holiday ornaments made to look like snowmen, stars or Santa. You can make them out of edible cookie dough or opt for a more permanent type of material such as bread dough made of salt, flour and water. Use ribbon or string to complete the ornaments.
- For patrons that use your restaurant for business, offer a special discount or other incentives to host their office party. You might cater the event or host it in your restaurant’s party room. Some businesses like to have these parties even after the New Year to avoid the holiday rush.
- Offer gift certificates for your customers to give as gifts to family and friends. Gift certificates are a great gift idea that can be used throughout the year. The friends and relatives of regular patrons get a night out and you can potentially gain more regular customers as well. Encourage your staff to offer the option or post on your Facebook page to get the word out.
- Promote an event with other businesses in your area to get shoppers in the mood to both shop and enjoy good food around the holidays. Providing treats for children who are out and about can help make them a little less cranky at a time when everyone seems a little more stressed.